Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Tight Budget, a Talent is Born.

So  you all know we moved into our new home a few months ago. With any new home, you spend a bit of time trying to get your "cushion" replenished after that big purchase. A tight budget is born. 

When we moved out of our old house, we literally ran out of room for a lot of stuff in the moving truck so we started selling things I could do without. One being our sad little 4 chair kitchen table and chairs.  We were still with my parents at that point and no new home in our foreseeable future, so we weren't worried about missing it. We would just purchase a new one eventually.

Then, 7 months later, came our new home. After getting here and deciding the space allotted for a much bigger table and chairs, I began the search. This is one of the ones I fell in love with. As I'm posting it now, I'm realizing it was much more expensive than I originally thought. That was JUST for the TABLE ALONE. I also envisioned one side bench, 4 chairs with 2 being end accent "fun" chairs. Most just wooden chairs I saw were around $200...just for one, but sometimes I got lucky with a pair. 

Via Pinterest

It was all adding up quickly. You guys know I am a bargain huntress of sorts. It runs in my family. I RARELY IF EVER pay full price for anything. I got my love for shopping from my Mom, but Dad's sense of finances to balance it all out. 

Have you ever heard of Canton, Tx?? Well if you haven't its a huge "flea market" style venue. It has some amazing finds. A few weeks ago, my Mom, my sister, Rowyn, and I made a trip. I hadn't been in years so I was pretty excited. Well it was like the stars were aligned and in slow motion, all three of us caught sight of these gorgeous things in one of the arbors.




I also got them for an AMAZING deal. AMAZING! So I came home with these as my two accent end chairs....and no table.

A while back I had approached TBoff about a website I had found. I'm sure you have heard of it. 
Ana-White.com I had found THIS table and it was exactly what I wanted. We could build it for around $100. That seemed too good to be true. So originally when I asked my husband ( that has NEVER built a thing in his life with ANY of his power tools) he kind of burrowed his brow and raised his upper HAIRY lip. Then I told him how much money we would save.....SOLD. 

We made the mistake of telling our families. :) They thought we were 'Silly!".
 "Just buy one! It will be far easier." 
Yes dishing out $2000 for a table and chairs seems easier.... :) 
In all honesty I think it was more, 
"Don't waste your time and money. He has never done this before. Why start on something so big that may turn out looking like crap?!?!?! Do you really want to put something like that in your new home that you are really proud of??"

So silly was really probably cheap and irrational. HAHAHA.

Still we had these chairs and no table. I was tired of eating on our hard slate floor. So the honey got to work. And amazing work he did. From the very beginning we were in awe.




Yep, just the ends made us pretty excited! hahaha

Here is the rest of it in action.








We wanted the stain to match the darkest color in the chair and so it would make them stand out more. And so....without further ado. :)

Tom's FIRST EVER Farmhouse Table

Isn't it gorgeous?!?!?!
 I have had several people ask how!?!? Just go to that link above and that's it. There was no modification. The trial and error part came with the stain and polyurethane.  He just practiced on a few scraps first. Otherwise it took him about 3 weeks, one late night staining session where I ended up covered in spots, and a whole lot of saw dust. :) 

Up next is the bench and to find some chairs to go on the other side. I'm thinking I'll find a pair somewhere and paint them either white or teal. What do ya'll think??? We are just so PROUD and happy how it turned out. After the materials, the pre stain, stain, and poly it cost us about $130. There were a few things we didn't end up needing so they need to be returned. So cheaper after its all said and done. 

I'll post about another DIY project I've been working on for A WHILE soon.



Do you guys have any DIY projects you have been working on??! I want to see!!!
Have a great Thursday!
Lots of Love,
The Boffs


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love it! That is so amazing. Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this tables looks spectacular! Y'all did such a great job for not doing a big project like this before... definitely giving me some inspiration! Happy to be a new follower!

    Tatteredtotaylored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please stop by and say HOWDY!