Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Our Journey has Ended

So It's been pretty quiet around here because 

WE FINALLY CLOSED ON OUR HOUSE!!


That's right....after 2 months, and living in it for a whole month IT IS OURS!

Note to self: Don't buy a house for a very long time. I don't think my body can handle it.

We are beyond happy to be able to call it ours. Living in someone else's house just isn't the same. :) We were scared to hang pictures on the walls and get rid of boxes. You never know!



Also I know this month is World Breastfeeding Support month and you guys know I am one of the biggest breastfeeding advocates around. Still, I've had a hard time because Sass has FINALLY given up the Mama milk. It's so funny how she has just ever so slowly weaned HERSELF and it has been such an easy transition. To be honest it wasn't until about day 3 or 4 when I was like "Hmmmm....maybe she is done." I was too scared to celebrate or cry because it could have just been a fluke. 

Milk coma in our early days.


However now it' been almost a month and she is done. I was pretty emotional about it the first week probably because I was a little blindsided. I mean she has only been nursing once in the wee hours of the morning for months. Randomly she would ask for "Nilk" if she got in public situations where she felt uncomfortable but with time we were able to work through that and help her adjust without needing to nurse her. 

I just never had that "This is our last time to nurse!" moment. I think it's a good thing. I am SO glad she weaned herself. It makes me feel so good knowing she was "ready." Can we talk about the fact that if you had told me 2-3 years ago I would be nursing a 26 month old I would have laughed in your face.

Bedtime is the best time.
I remember seeing a woman nursing her toddler in Target WHILE pushing a cart down the aisle with purpose. This mama had places to be and nursing a 25-30lb kid wasn't stopping her. I remember wearing Rowyn in the Moby or maybe the Boba I don't know but looking down at her tiny self and thinking....

"There is no way in Hell..."

God has a funny way of shutting me up, doesn't He? bahahaha I've had a lot of those moments as a Mom. Those times where I was stupid and naive and thought "Those women are crazy!" and I'm now PROUDLY one of those crazy women. 

When I say my body is mine again, what I really mean is doing squats with a 25lb toddler is totally normal and OK in my house. :)

So we are done and I'm OK with it. My body is mine again! WHOOO HOOOOOOOOO! After 2 years of sharing it feels pretty good! I feel so blessed to have been able to share that with Rowyn for such an extended amount of time,and  proud to surpassed the WHO's recommendation for nursing mothers. :) I also feel beyond blessed to have the support from my honey. Never once has he asked me, "When are you going to stop??" "Isn't she too old for that??" He has fully supported my hope to extended breastfeed and I have no doubt he is the biggest reason we were so successful in our nursing journey...that and the fact that I made enough milk to feed a small squishy army. 

What about you??? Are you an extended breastfeeding mama??  How did you feel when your squish weaned???

I hope you guys are having a great week!

Lots of Love,
Willis


4 comments:

  1. I nursed my son for 14 months. I am currently nursing my 7 1/2 month old daughter with a plan to go until she is 2 (after that it's her plan). LOVE LOVE LOVE breastfeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on closing on the house! That's so great! Maybe I need to take a road trip to come visit y'all! I miss y'all. I want play dates. And mommy dates!

    Congrats on weaning as well! We haven't even started over here. I just don't think she's ready for that.

    chevrons&anchors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently I am nursing a 15 month old with no signs of stopping. We are still nursing 6-7 times a day and throughout the night. She will wean when she is ready and I am happy that it is not right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nursing a 13 month old twice a day. Made it to 12 months exclusively on mamas milk... But also work full time so on her birthday, I stopped pumping. I dont think my heart could take her weaning right now. My hubby too is majorly supportive too but told me there is no way he couLD be nursing if he were a wOman cuz of her razor like teeth :)

    ReplyDelete

Please stop by and say HOWDY!