Thursday, August 2, 2012

World Breastfeeding Awareness -MOVE WOMAN!

This week is WORLD Breastfeeding Awareness Week. This MONTH is NATIONAL Breastfeeding Awareness Month. 

HOW AWESOME IS THAT!?

 If you know me, you know I love nursing. I love it. Yes, there are times I wish I didn't have to worry about it, but I there have been times when we BOTH cried because we attempted to do things without "the girls". It wasn't pretty. I'll be ready to close up "shop" when Sass is ready! Some days it seems like she's there, and then some days we have lots of Boobie Juice pit stops.


So if you have ever even ATTEMPTED breastfeeding, you KNOW it's not easy. I was the FIRST mama in my family who attempted to nurse. I was in uncharted waters. If it hadn't been for my SIL who gave me a lot of great pointers, and all my mamas on Instagram then I don't know if I would have made it.

I read plenty of books before Rowyn got here. I was also a frequent caller/vistor to my lacataion consultant from the hospital. More than anything, I loved KellyMom.Com

I often get asked questions about breastfeeding. I often offer unsolicited encouragement. :) I am just so passionate about it, because it is tough. It has so many ups and downs. You share your body with another person at their own discretion. Your boobs take on a whole other shape of their own. :) But, more often than not I see women not being successful at it because they don't have enough support. Wether it's plenty of myths (SO MANY!) , a job that doesn't allow you to pump as often as you ned to, the stress of a new baby,  the stress of going back to work....I could go on! The point is, there are plenty of obstacles. 


One of the biggest myths I've heard and almost sucumbed to is you can't exercise while nursing or you will lose your supply. This simply isn't true. The truth is, it's not the exercise that causes a supply decrease, it's your body not getting enough hydration and calories to compensate. 

I LOVE TO EXERCISE! I LOVE TO RUN! 
I know...I'm nuts, but I do. 

When I was pregnant, I wasn't allowed to do much due to weight loss thanks to excessive nausea and vomiting. Then we had problems with pre-term labor, which led to 6 weeks of bed rest which you can read about HERE and HERE .

I WAS DYING! I NEEDED TO FEEL THE WIND IN MY HAIR!
 However, for the safety and well being of your kid, you do what you gotta do.

When the in-laws got us a jogger for Christmas and Sass was 7 months old, I could NOT wait to get that bad boy on the pavement. I started steady, but steady or not...any exercise was going to put my body in shock. It hadn't done much in over a year. I started losing weight fast. My supply went quickly with the L-Bs.
Poor thing barely fit in it, she was so tiny at 7 months. :)
 I was annoyed. Thank goodness for all the "tricks", because they got the tap working in no time. Still, what now?!?! I wanted to put my running shoes on for something other than the grocery store!

At the time, the Lord must have felt my need for speed because there was a blog post on my blogger feed just like the one I'm writing you now. I of course can't find it now, but there are plenty of others out there. 
Basically what it comes down to is...
HYDRATE YOURSELF WOMAN!

Pinkies up! 

 EAT A WELL BALANCED MEAL!
 EAT WOMAN!

This is an awesome app called:
Hydrate Yourself


It has an option to calcuate in the fact that you are nursing. For me, due to nursing and my exercise regimen, it suggests I drink 81oz of water A DAY. That seems like a lot, but it really isn't too hard to do. Get the app. Eat well balanced meals, frequent healthy snacks, grab your water and 
GET TO MOVING WOMAN!
Post run giggles. 

Don't let nursing stop you from being a healthier you for you and your munchkin. I want to teach Rowyn that in order to live a healthy lifestyle and stick around in this world for a bit, you have to love your body. You have to work for it. Right now I'm working for the both of us! :)



Today I'm linking up with Sisters n' cloth Breastfeeding Blog Hop to celebrate World Breastfeeding Awareness Week.
Go check out all the other great posts. 

Thanks for all the comments on my last post!! I've already made my first sale!! I was so excited, I couldn't wait to get it to the post office this morning. :) 
I hope you guys are having a great day.
Lots of Love,
The Boffs


5 comments:

  1. Loved all your breastfeeding posts! i was so thankful for the supportive community I found on-line when I was breastfeeding my first. It made such a big difference!

    Great tips for successfully breastfeeding and exercising. I know I am guilty of not staying hydrated enough, even for non-exercising me. I hope to start exercising again soon. I've finally lost all the excess weight from my first pregnancy, and am back down to the weight I was when I got married, but I still have more I would like to lose, and it all needs to be toned up! Thanks for the encouragement to get moving :)

    We hope you will link up with us again at the Breastfeeding Blog Hop! ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post Whit! I had no clue that your supply can drop when you start exercising but it makes sense if you are dehydrated! I LOVE the hydrate yourself app - thanks to you! It recommends I have 93oz a day - thank you desert!! Love your blog, love breastfeeding! Happy World Breastfeeding Week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from the Blog Hop! Love your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post Whit! I am hoping to be able to BF and am going to try really hard to do it even when I go back to work! Great tips and I am going to read some of the other blogs you suggested as well! Keep up the posts! Miss sass is adorable as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up this week. At my 6 week post partum check, I was 1-2 lbs. heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight. My midwife said, "Be careful because when breastfeeding declines. It'll be easier to gain lbs." She wasn't discouraging, but I so wish I took her words to heart and got out and MOVED with my daughter. So, now I'm trying to play catch up.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop by and say HOWDY!