Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tasty Tuesday


Menu Monday was a bust, because it's my shopping week. Which means, I don't really plan meals until I go to all the 5 different grocery stores and get our grub. I mentioned before I had cut our monthly grocery bill in HALF last month. I'm attempting to do this again.
How I feel after shopping at 5 grocery stores, digging through ALL my coupons, and saving LOTS of money. :)
 Saving $300 a month makes me VERY happy. :)

Since I'm trying to not make EXTRA trips to the grocery I have been really making a conscience effort to make use of whatever we already have. We bought a big watermelon at the farmer's market last week. The three of us can generally eat a whole watermelon in less than two weeks. 



WE LOVE IT! 

Still, it's fun to try new things. So I searched on Pinterest for recipes with watermelon, and I came across a LOT of salads. I figured I would throw a few recipes together and make my own.

Summer Watermelon Salad

about 1 cup chopped watermelon
fresh spinach
crumbled feta
S&P
1 shallot sliced or  1/4 red onion, sliced

Dressing

3 T EVOO
juice of one lime
S&P

So I just made the salads to order. :) I grabbed a couple of bowls. Threw in a little bit of spinach to each, topped with a bit of watermelon.I  sprinkled a bit (A bit is totally a measurement in my house!) of crumbled Feta cheese on top. I didn't have red onion or shallots but if I DID, they would totally have been awesome on this bad ass salad. :) 

In a bowl I whisked the EVOO, lime juice, and salt and pepper until smooth. 

I then topped the individual salads with a drizzle of the dressing. It didn't really take much for me, but add as much as you like. The watermelon is so juicy it doesn't take much. 

I got a little heavy handed with the Feta. I LOVE feta, but it didn't need this much.  Also next time, more spinach! I was scared it wasn't going to be good, so I was skimping on the ingredients. :)

 Next time, GO BIG OR GO HOME BI-HATCHES

This was sooooo good and refreshing. I made another one the next day for lunch. Perfect for a quick summer side salad. 

Hope you guys are having a great week! We're off on another grocery adventure. I wonder if strenous grocery shopping is an exercise option in My Fitness Pal. :)
Sass getting her Targe' on. :)

Lots of Love,
The Boffs

1 comment:

  1. Did I miss a post? How did you save $300???? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop by and say HOWDY!