Sunday, September 25, 2011

SLEEP STRIKE

Someone likes to go on the occasional sleep strike.

That someone is about 2 1/2 ft long/tall, 12+ lbs (I don't know her specifics we'll go to the Dr. on Monday for our 4 month check-up), gorgeous baby blues, a balding head, and a giggle that will melt your heart.

It's like having a brand new newborn ALL over again some nights and then some nights she wakes up once or twice and she's a little angel! I've heard about a 4 month sleep regression, and I'm wondering if that's what it is or maybe a growth spurt. There were two nights this week she woke up every 2- 2.5 hours and wouldn't go back down unless I fed her! Then a few days this week napping has been a major head ache. . . a bigger head ache than normal.

These are my latest nap antics:

I slept funny the other night and got a crick in my neck, so I filled an old softball sock with rice and put it in the microwave. Bam! I had a cozy neck wrap. Tom thought I was crazy, until I put it on his neck and he thought it felt pretty awesome. Well so my neck is feeling mucho better, but I got an idea. . .

I heat the sock up before nap time and put it in her crib while we're rocking/reading a book. When she's ready to go down I take it out, and her sheets are nice and warm like Mommy's arms!!! I can't see much of a difference, but I thought it was a neat idea. Tom thinks its so sad that my days have come to this. . .



Stinky softball socks to help your daughter nap. WAA WAA WAAAA.

Hey! You do what ya gotta do!

We're  also currently still doing the 90 minute sleep cycle. A while back someone suggested on my comments this book:
amazon.com

The premise being that ALL babies 6 months and younger  need to sleep every 90 minutes. Now I don't know if this would work for your kiddos, but this has been a God send for us. We just weren't blessed with a good napper, but thank God she USUALLY sleeps awesome at night. 

Before this book, I was having such a hard time deciphering whether she was hungry or just over tired. Now I know she was usually over tired. The girl RARELY cries when she's hungry, even when she wakes up in the middle of the night. She makes this little whimper talking noise. It's like she saying "Hey Mommy. I've kind of hungry over here. Think you could come get me and give me a snack please?"  When she's tired she wails. .  . and wails . . . and wails until she FINALLY gives in. She just has too much fun when she's awake she's afraid she's missing out. :)

So I just look at the clock when Ro wakes up from her nap and know that in 90 minutes she'll be tired again. Depending on how long she sleeps will determine how many naps she'll get each day. She usually only naps 30 minutes at a time, sometimes 45 minutes IF WE'RE LUCKY. So some days she'll have 2 or 3 naps, and some days she'll have 5.  Now don't get me wrong. We don't run into her room at the first noise she makes. We let her stir and see if one day she'll MIRACULOUSLY put herself back to sleep. Generally, she's happy and talking when she wakes up after 30 minutes. If she's happy then I go get her when she lets me know she is ready.  If she cries when she wakes up then we attempt to rock her back down.

Around 6 months of age babies start to extend this cycle in 90 minute increments and will start dropping naps. We really haven't gotten there yet, but I've noticed that she's starting to stay awake occasionally for 2+ hours before she falls asleep. Before she was SO overtired from not sleeping, she could barely make an hour. Majority of the time, however, you can set your watch by it. . . 90 minutes . .  her sweet lids (That seems to have hidden tooth picks hidden underneath them! ) are shut. I can most of the time put her in her crib barely awake and she'll fall asleep no problem.

. . . sometimes those infamous peepers pop right open and say "HEY LADY! I'm not ready yet. Pick my cute butt back up and lets try this again." 

Those are the days I want to bang my head against a wall. :)  Oh well. Like I said. . . probably just a phase. There were a few days this week she seemed to need to eat more than normal. . .  maybe a growth spurt?!?! 

The hardest part of this program is if you need to get stuff done. It's hard to get anything done in 90 minutes, because 30 of those minutes are spent getting them dressed and packing every thing they own "just in case." So sometimes she may miss a nap because I can never guarantee if she'll fall asleep while we're out. She generally HATES her car seat at this point in time. I've taken the Moby wrap to the grocery store and wore her once and it seemed to work out really well. She of course didn't fall asleep because, lets face it, the grocery has A LOT of cool stuff to see! 
Any who, if you have a horrible napper. . . give this book a try. If your little punkin has no problem sleeping anywhere or at any time. . .  I don't want to hear it. :) 

I kid. I kid.

But seriously, don't tell me. 

My friend, Megan is doing a giveaway this week. She was really lucky to have one of the girls from Moms on Call to come help her get a routine with her TWO blessings. She talked about it here
Here's a link to the giveaway.

Go check it out! I hear they have a truly awesome program. Hm. . . Maybe I could convince hubs to get them to come help us. :) 
Hope you all have sweet dreams this week.

This is Ro's"I'm NOT napping" face. :)


Lots of Love,
The Boffs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please stop by and say HOWDY!