Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tasty Tuesday!

So I love Italian food. 

LOVE!

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned a hundred times that I love PASTA!

There is one thing I don't love. . .  "red" sauce. :) I'm just not a fan. The Honey wants to put extra sauce on our pizza. . .  I scrape it off. 

If we order bread sticks or calamari and it comes with a marinara sauce, The Honey's food is taking a diving leap into the sauce. My food just barely gets its toes wet. :) 

I've never been a fan of manicotti or lasagna because I just don't like tomato sauce. Well either my palette is becoming more adult or the honey just knows what his woman likes, because I can tolerate his lasagna and this recipe of manicotti is AMAZING. 

It's by far one of my favorite dishes he makes. I actually have never made it before. This is something he enjoys doing (I think it's because I love it so much and maybe it strokes his ego JUST A TAD!)

I do have to say a lot of love is due to the fact that I LOOOOOVE Emeril's Roast Gahhhlic spaghetti sauce. If there is something else I love as much as pasta, its most definitely garlic. Sometimes the chunks of garlic rub me the wrong way (I have a major texture problem.) but if there is a recipe that just has to have tomato sauce. . .  this is the one I choose. 


This recipe is actually out of a cookbook we received as a wedding gift. 


All the goodies you will need:
 1 lb Italian or pork sausage. (Tom lately has just been using breakfast sausage, like Jimmy Deans. Sometimes Italian sausage isn't freshly made at the meat counter at our grocery I guess. )

1/2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese (As I've  mentioned before we love cheese and if Tom is cooking he doesn't usually go by the recipes directions for cheese. . .  sometimes he goes a bit overboard, but it still yummy! HA)

2 eggs, well beaten

1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs (sometimes we have Italian or whole wheat on hand from some other recipes. They taste great too. Whatever you like!)

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (See above about cheese. HA)

4 tablespoons soft margarine

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

16 manicotti noodles

1 (15 1/2 oz) jar pasta sauce


The Plan:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In large skillet, brown sausage until done, draining well.

Let it cool.

Combine mozzarella cheese, eggs, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, margarine, salt and black pepper in a bowl.

Add sausage to bowl. Set aside.

Boil noodles 5 minutes, draining well.. For easier handling, don't overcook the noodles. They will finish cooking and be tender after you place them in the oven.

Pour a cup of sauce into a greased 13x9 inch baking dish.

Stuff each noodle with sausage mixture and place in baking dish.

Pour remaining sauce over noodles. 

Cover noodles with foil and bake 25-30 minutes.

Uncover & sprinkle cheese on top and return to oven for 5 minutes.

This makes a lot! Tom & I eat off it for several days, but it soooo good.
We love to pair it with my Mom's garlic cheese biscuits and a salad. YUMMY!


I don't have any pictures, because I'm lame. . . but this one is pretty close.
VIA


Now go try it this week. If I love it, you will too. . .  red sauce and all. :)




Lots of Love,
The Boffs



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please stop by and say HOWDY!