Monday, July 26, 2010

"I can't sing....but I can glow."



The title of this post is a quote from my precious grandmother, Marme. She got asked to return to the choir in church when they got a new choir director...that is what she said. It just makes my heart smile.

She went to heaven in January after a long hard battle with cancer.  I miss her so much.
http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Martha-Riley&lc=1888&mid=4124398

 I'm doing this post because besides my wedding, our first big family gathering without her was this weekend. My cousin got married and I couldn't have been happier for him but I knew I was going to be pretty emotional without her there. My precious hubby is always so good with his sensitive wife too. :) I figured blogging could be my healing time.
Marme was the glue that held our crazy dysfunctional family together, so I hope we can all make her proud and continue to fight to stay a crazy dysfunctional family.

Here are a few of my favorite pics of her sweet face.
Omi ( my Dad's mom) & Marme at my graduation from Nursing school.

Marme, my FAVORITE Uncle Ben, & my cute Mum.
Marme playing cars in the kitchen floor with Kason.


Christmas of 2007


The last one is my favorite. She walked into my parents house one night and realized that it was  just a few of us in the family...she whipped that wig off so fast and made it a topiary tree topper.

Poor Thomas has to hear all my silly stories I like to retell about Marme. She loved him so much in the short time she knew him so I like for him to get to know her through me.

Some of my favorite things about her:
1: She made me fall in love with painting and art. She was amazing.
2: She was tough in double Solitaire. There was no "letting" me win
3: She taught me to cross stitch. (Tom & I have an Angel Bride she did in our bedroom)
4: She taught me the difference between "boy" ducks & "girl" ducks.
5: She could make THE best banana pudding & chocolate pie
6: She loved to sing in church and the best were the days I surprised her on Sundays to sit next to her. She smiled sooooo big.
7: Her shoelaces were always tied to the side of her shoes, not in the center :)
8: She could make the best forts out of big boxes. Always had cool hiding places at The Art Works.
9:She taught me the best way to eat an Atomic Fire Ball was by smashing it on the floor and eating it in smaller pieces.
10: When she would call-Me "Hello." Marme "Whitttneeeyyy!" Me-"Hi Marme!" Marme-"It's your Marme!" hee hee I just got so tickled that I would basically let her know I knew it was her, but she always told me anyway.

She was so silly.

I've got several posts to work on since we've been gone for two weeks. I'll post about Jonathan & Allison's wedding in Minnesota, Chris & Lacey's wedding in Arkansas, and soon Tony & Desiree's shower in Louisiana. We're world travelers these days. :) WE ARE POOPED!


"Note that God is not working to make us happy, but to fulfill His purpose."


Lots of Love,
The Boffs.

1 comment:

  1. Awww Whit!! That was SO sweet!! I love my Mamaw the same way!! Thankfully she's still with us and hopefully for a long, long time to come!! Grandma's are the BEST stuff in the world!!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop by and say HOWDY!